According to sources after eight days of protests, the Joint Action Council of Tamilnadu Teachers' Organization and Government Employees’ Organizations (Jactto-Geo), an umbrella association of government staff and teachers temporarily called off its strike on Wednesday, as most employees returned to work over the last few days. Reportedly Jactto-Geo members leading the strike, however, maintained that they were relenting due to the fast approaching practical exams for students who are set to appear for their public examinations this year.
Meanwhile members of the organization have been striking work since January 22 with demands like reverting to the old pension scheme and a hike in pay for secondary grade teachers among others. Furthermore the government, however, refused to entertain any dialogue with them and went on the offensive by hiring temporary teachers and warning protesters of suspension and treating their posts as vacant.
Moreover PK Ilamaran, state president of the Tamilnadu Teachers' Association said "When we hold such protests, stop buses and create chaos, what example are we setting for our students? If they want to register protest, they should have taken classes and not signed the attendance register. Most people leading the protest are retired government staff. Further the protests took a very political color with DMK and CPI-M associated members having too much of a say."
Congress Leader Rahul Gandhi campaigns for the party in Haryana today According to sources Congress leader Rahul Gandhi will on Monday campaign for the party in Haryana and will address a public meeting in Nuh. The sources said “Gandhi will address the meeting in the afternoon and will reach Nuh in southern Haryana by road from Delhi, and the meeting was finalized after consultations with party leaders of the state”. Meanwhile Nuh is the district headquarters in the Mewat area and falls under the Gurgaon parliamentary constituency. Gandhi is also campaigning for
- Investigations going on in sensational Jolly Joseph serial murders case
- North East Monsoon likely be begin in Tamilnadu from October 17
- PM Modi dared Rahul Gandhi on abrogation of Article 370
- BJP may face tough time in Thanesar seat as Ex- INLD chief joined Congress
- Mobile Phone services to be restored from October 14 at Kashmir
- Will TSRTC Bus services be restored by October 21?
- PM Modi took to Twitter to answer what he was carrying while plogging at Mamallapuram beach
- Bangladesh and Nepal are estimated to grow faster than India in 2019: WB
- PM Modi's translator for Chinese President was 2007 batch IFS from Chennai
- BJP released Party Manifesto for upcoming Haryana Assembly Elections
- Japan hit by biggest typhoon in decades
- India's growth rate is projected to fall to 6%, the World Bank
- Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale: Mamallapuram was chosen by India due to its rich heritage
- Why Jagan Is A Lot Better Than Chandrababu
- AP Government To Buy A Multi-Storeyed Tower At Tadepalli