According to sources truckers in the Salem-Namakkal belt, who form the bulk of lorry and truck operators in Tamilnadu on Thursday struck work in response to the nationwide call by commercial vehicles transport operators to protest the exorbitant fines and other penal provisions under the newly amended Motor Vehicles (MV) Act enacted by the Central government.
Meanwhile Mr C Dhanraj, treasurer of the Tamilnadu Lorry Owners Federation treasurer said nearly four lakh of the 4.65 lakh truckers in Tamilnadu were off the roads today as the joined the dawn to dusk protest, leading to stagnation of nearly Rs 100 crore worth goods which remain stranded due to the strike. The hike in NH toll rates and diesel price have also added to their woes that the goods transport business in Tamilnadu faced a severe slump, adding, 50% of the truckers were not even able to cover their operational costs now and were not even getting their receivables.
Moreover considering the long-term viability of the industry is at stake, Mr. dhanraj said the new Act has severely hit the truckers all over the country and added that the Central government should immediately withdraw the amended MV Act.
BJP made scrapping of Article 370 its main talking point in assembly elections in Haryana & Maharashtra Sources from Pune stated that Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who was addressing a rally in poll bound Maharashtra's Pune district on Thursday, made a surprising gesture to his audience while speaking on his government's recent decision to scrap Article 370, which granted special status to Jammu and Kashmir. Meanwhile as the crowd cheered for him, he halted his speech, stepped aside from the dais and bowed before the public twice.
- PMC Bank came under RBI scanner
- Kerala Cops searches Jolly's friend seen in many photos
- Northeast Monsoon intensified in Tamilnadu
- Will AP Secretaries stop Fake News?
- Telangana's new Liquor Policy received 41,000 applications
- Will TRS predicts Huzurnagar Bye Election Result?
- AIADMK announced candidates for Assembly by-polls
- Nirav Modi remanded to Prison until November 11
- Kamala Harris asked Twitter to suspend Trump's account for attacking lawmakers
- Rajnath Singh hit back at Congress against human rights violations
- African Mona Lisa painting fetched pre-auction estimate of £1.1 million
- Investors can find no better place in the world than India: Nirmala Sitharaman
- TN Govt directed all blood banks in Tamilnadu to use Blood Donation feature on Facebook
- Exide industries launches e-vehicle in name of Exide Neo
- Jio alleged Airtel, Vodafone Idea & BSNL fraudulently masquerading against violation of IUC Regulations