Steve Smith was announced as the captain of Rajasthan Royals for the upcoming Indian Premier League (IPL) season here on Saturday. The selection was made by a panel comprising Royals mentor Shane Warne, their Head of Cricket Zubin Bharucha and the team's co-owner Manoj Badale.
Warne, who captained the Royals to the title during the inaugural IPL, said the team will continue to play intense cricket."We will play the Royals' brand of cricket, that is, with spirit and aggression, with which we are known to play with. I am looking forward to exciting cricket and a successful campaign," the legendary leg-spinner said. Smith, on his part, said he is looking forward to work with his legendary countryman.
"It's great to be back with the Royals. It's an honor and privilege to be leading Royals and looking forward to working with the king (Shane Warne)," he remarked. Smith had been part of the Rajasthan Royals team in 2014 and 2015. In fact, it was at Rajasthan Royals where he first stepped into the shoes of a leader and later took over as Australia captain as he flourished in the role.
Last season, Smith also led his team from the front guiding them to the final. He almost pulled off a successful chase with a brilliant knock in the final, but the team fell short by just one run. Smith played 15 matches and scored 472 runs last season at an average of 39.33.Rajasthan Royals will kick off their season with an away fixture against Sunrisers Hyderabad on April 9, followed by a home game against the Delhi.
#INDvWI - India wins Second Test in 3 Days at Hyderabad The second test of India vs West Indies series began with West Indies winning the toss and batting first. Except for Roston chase's stunning century of 106(189) and Jason holder's 52(92), there was no resistance from the West Indies batting line-up and they were wrapped for 311, with Kuldeep Yadav scalping 3/85 and Umesh Yadav's impressive figure of 6/88.
- #INDvWI - India in Drivers seat after Prithvi Shaw's maiden century on debut
- #INDvBAN #AsiaCupfinal - India clinch their 7th Asia Cup Title after beating Bangladesh in a Nail biter
- MS Dhoni returns back to captaincy and India ties against Afghanistan team itself - Time to Retire ??
- #PAKvIND - India Seal their Biggest Win Over Pakistan
- #INDvBAN - Rohit Sharma and Ravindra Jadeja makes it merry for India
- #INDvPAK #IndiavsPakistan - Rohit Sharma and men beat Pakistan comprehensively
- India beats Hong Kong by 22 runs in a Nail biter
- How far England is going to stretch their lead?
- Pujara promises to chase down any total
- Boxer Amit Panghal snatches a GOLD for India at Asian Games
- India takes honors on Day one of Fourth Test with England - Can Batsmen get a lead?
- #NeerajChopra who clinches Gold in Asian Games dedicate it to Vajpayee
- #ViratKohli dedicates Trent Bridge Victory to Kerala Flood Victims
- iNDIA just One Wicket Away from Historic Victory at Trent Bridge
- #KingKohli scores 23rd Century as India is smelling a Victory at Trent Bridge