Steve Smith was announced as the captain of Rajasthan Royals for the upcoming Indian Premier League (IPL) season here on Saturday. The selection was made by a panel comprising Royals mentor Shane Warne, their Head of Cricket Zubin Bharucha and the team's co-owner Manoj Badale.
Warne, who captained the Royals to the title during the inaugural IPL, said the team will continue to play intense cricket."We will play the Royals' brand of cricket, that is, with spirit and aggression, with which we are known to play with. I am looking forward to exciting cricket and a successful campaign," the legendary leg-spinner said. Smith, on his part, said he is looking forward to work with his legendary countryman.
"It's great to be back with the Royals. It's an honor and privilege to be leading Royals and looking forward to working with the king (Shane Warne)," he remarked. Smith had been part of the Rajasthan Royals team in 2014 and 2015. In fact, it was at Rajasthan Royals where he first stepped into the shoes of a leader and later took over as Australia captain as he flourished in the role.
Last season, Smith also led his team from the front guiding them to the final. He almost pulled off a successful chase with a brilliant knock in the final, but the team fell short by just one run. Smith played 15 matches and scored 472 runs last season at an average of 39.33.Rajasthan Royals will kick off their season with an away fixture against Sunrisers Hyderabad on April 9, followed by a home game against the Delhi.
#AUSvIND - Dhoni hits third consecutive half century and guides India to clinch ODI series The final ODI of India's tour of Australia began with Aussies batting first. The Aussies had a disastrous start as Bhuvaneshwar Kumar removed openers Carey(5) and Finch(14) early. Usman Khawaja and Marsh stood for a while before Chahal struck twice to dismiss them both for 34(51) and 39(54) respectively. Handscomb yet again rescued Aussies with his 58(63), but Chahal again ended his knock.
- Dhoni's unexpected anger on field!
- Kohli Dhoni help India to level ODI series
- Which players will replace Hardik & Rahul?
- Dhoni does it for special fan!
- Australia win by 34 runs against India - Time for Kohli to step down and Rohit Sharma to get captaincy!
- Hardik Pandya's Koffee with Karan episode deleted by Hotstar
- Rohit Sharma jokes on Rishab!
- Pandya seeks apology, given notice!
- Indian players rise up ICC rankings!
- Hardik Pandya faces online attack!
- KL Rahul's noticed for sportsmanship!
- #TeamIndia makes History and retain the Border-Gavaskar Trophy with a historic 2-1 series win!
- India likely to win Test series 3-1
- #AUSvIND - Rain stands between India and a Victory after Day 3
- Rishabh Pant, the baby sitter turned centurion!