Accordingly Kumar Dharmasena, who along with Marais Erasmus was the on-field umpire in the 2019 World Cup final, admitted on Sunday that he made a mistake by awarding an extra run to england after the ball ricocheted off Ben Stokes' bat and ran to the boundary. Dharmasena told a weekly magazine that "It's easy for people to comment after seeing TV replays". He quoted as saying "I agree that there was a judgmental error when I see it on TV replays now. But we did not have the luxury of TV replays at the ground and I will never regret the decision I made. Besides, the ICC praised me for the decision I made at that time".
Reportedly former umpire Simon Taufel was one of the first to point out the error. Tauffel was quoted as saying by the Australian media "The act of the overthrow starts when the fielder releases the ball. It becomes an overthrow from the instant of the throw". Perhaps Dharmasena clarified that he could not have referred the matter to the third umpire as there was no dismissal involved. He said "So, I did consult the leg umpire through the communication system which is heard by all the other umpires and the match referee. And, while they couldn't check TV replays, they all confirmed that the batsmen have completed the run. This is when I made my decision".
Moreover the decision significantly worked in england's advantage because apart from the extra run, Stokes was on strike for the last three balls instead of Rashid. Apparently it was later reported that the Marylebone cricket Club (MCC), custodians of the Laws of cricket, was considering to review the overthrow rules in light of the incidents that occurred during the World Cup final.
Paytm retained sponsorship rights for BCCI's International & domestic matches According to sources one 97 Communications Pvt. Ltd, owners of Paytm, on Wednesday retained the sponsorship rights for BCCI's International and domestic matches with a winning bid of ₹3.80 crore per match. Meanwhile the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on Wednesday
- Sreesanth eligible for selection in Indian cricket team from September 2020
- Kapil Dev announced Ravi Shastri as Head Coach of India cricket until T20
- Cricket most loved sport in India, cricketers also get their fair share of remuneration
- Indian batsman Rohit Sharma speaks few things openly now
- Who will be Team India's New Coach? Interview begins
- BREAKING: Former Indian opener VB Chandrasekhar passes away!
- Commonwealth Games to have Women's T20 by 2022
- Virat Kohli set to become highest run-scorer vs West Indies in ODI cricket
- Russian Referee deadliest stares of all time
- Sakshi's surprise to MS Dhoni after he returns home after August 15
- Shubman Gill became youngest Indian cricketer to score double hundred in first class cricket
- Has Rohit Sharma ended speculation on rift with Virat Kohli?
- Krunal Pandya's all round performance gifts India a win
- Anushka accompanied Virat to Miami for WI Series
- Who is Going to Be The Coach of Team India?