New York sources reported that cache of ancient Indian antiques and valuable artifacts, seized by the US Immigration and Customs Department from arrested art smuggler Subhash Kapoor, have been identified by Indian archaeologists and could soon be returned to the country. Meanwhile in a statement on Wednesday, the Archaeological Survey of india announced finding over 300 antique objects, including idols dating to the Gupta period (5th-6th century AD) and terracotta objects of the Harappan culture from the storage of Kapoor, who was arrested in 2011 from germany’s Frankfurt.
ASI Additional Director General urmila Sant told that a set of 17 objects were shown by the US Homeland Security department to her and another official during their US visit and the seven bronze and 10 stone objects were identified as antiques “of significant historical value”. According to the ASI, these comprise “beautiful bronzes from the Suttamalli and Sripurantan temples of Tamilnadu” and also a “very significant image of Mahakoka Devata”.
Of these, four were stolen from the protected monuments at Karitalai, Madhya Pradesh on August 16-17, 2006, it said. The two member ASI team comprising Sant and Superintendent Archaeologist P.S. Sriraman visited the US following a communication from the Indian Consulate General in New York.
Why a Sikh Youth restricted entry in New York Bar? New York sources reported that Sikh youth has claimed that a bar in New York’s Long Island didn’t let him enter because he was wearing a turban. Gurvinder Grewal, a recent graduate from the Stony Brook University, went out to meet his friends late night on May 11 at the Harbor Grill in Port Jefferson. But the 23 year old was “embarrassed” when a manager told him that he would not be allowed in with a head covering.
- American e-tailer Wayfair has come under fire
- Doctor being imprisoned for dispensing prescription painkillers
- Indian antiques & Valuables seized by US from art smuggler
- Indian candidate elected for Narcotics Board by UN
- Indian students declared second runners-up at Microsoft Imagine Cup world finals
- Will US Geophysicts be given Visa to attend workshop on climate in India?
- NRIs should know these rules before dealing in any kind of cash or investment
- Delta Air Lines will re-launch its nonstop service to Mumbai beginning December 22
- Under Health care fraud Physician put in prison
- Indian Teen offered acceptance letters from seven prominent US based universities
- Vallabh Sambhamurthy selected as Albert O. Nicholas Dean of the Wisconsin School of Business
- Kamala Harris launched her campaign for the White House
- India's Chandraayan 2 to carry NASA probe instrument
- Why Tulsi Gabbard outraised Kamala Harris?
- Sania Mirza working hard to stay fit after her Delivery