Washington sources reported that federal court has sentenced an Indian-American doctor to nine years in prison after he pleaded guilty in 2016 to illegally dispensing prescription painkillers and defrauding Medicare. Pawankumar Jain, 66, was sentenced by the federal court in Las Cruces, New mexico on Thursday, the Las Cruces Sun News reported.
Earlier in 2016, Jain confessed to operating a “pain management” practice and improperly prescribing narcotics such as methadone, with the knowledge the prescriptions would be submitted to Medicare for payment and his license to practice medicine was revoked by the New mexico Medical Board in 2012.
One of Jain’s patients, identified only as “M.E.B.” in court records, died in 2009 of respiratory depression after taking methadone Jain had prescribed. Moreover Jain’s attorney, Mary Stillinger, argued that Jain “lived many years as a law-abiding, contributing member of society. His first offense came in the later years of his career, under the stress of an overburdened practice”.
Why a Sikh Youth restricted entry in New York Bar? New York sources reported that Sikh youth has claimed that a bar in New York’s Long Island didn’t let him enter because he was wearing a turban. Gurvinder Grewal, a recent graduate from the Stony Brook University, went out to meet his friends late night on May 11 at the Harbor Grill in Port Jefferson. But the 23 year old was “embarrassed” when a manager told him that he would not be allowed in with a head covering.
- American e-tailer Wayfair has come under fire
- Doctor being imprisoned for dispensing prescription painkillers
- Indian antiques & Valuables seized by US from art smuggler
- Indian candidate elected for Narcotics Board by UN
- Indian students declared second runners-up at Microsoft Imagine Cup world finals
- Will US Geophysicts be given Visa to attend workshop on climate in India?
- NRIs should know these rules before dealing in any kind of cash or investment
- Delta Air Lines will re-launch its nonstop service to Mumbai beginning December 22
- Under Health care fraud Physician put in prison
- Indian Teen offered acceptance letters from seven prominent US based universities
- Vallabh Sambhamurthy selected as Albert O. Nicholas Dean of the Wisconsin School of Business
- Kamala Harris launched her campaign for the White House
- India's Chandraayan 2 to carry NASA probe instrument
- Why Tulsi Gabbard outraised Kamala Harris?
- Sania Mirza working hard to stay fit after her Delivery