Diwali (or Divali) the name derived and comes in to existence from the Sanskrit word Deepavali (deep + aavali) which literally and spiritually means "a row of lights " or the "festival of lights" This is an auspicious day, and celebrated by Hindus across the world, and for most Hindus this day is the beginning of the New Year.
Shree Mahalaxmi Temple, Kolhapur
On a more personal front, however, Diwali is a time to 'turn inward and light the lamps of knowledge and truth in our hearts and minds' so that we can dispel the 'forces of darkness and ignorance within us and allow our innate brilliance and goodness to shine forth. Hence people performs puja of Sri Maha Lakshmi, the goddess of associated with wealth, health, education, status, children, grain, success and courage of eight qualities and gives or shower on her Devotees on the eve of this festival.
Recitation: "Om Asato Ma Sad GamayaTamaso Ma Jyotir GamayaMrityor Ma Amritam GamayaOm Shanti Shanti Shanti"
it means — Lead us from untruth to truthFrom darkness to lightFrom death to immortalityOm Peace Peace Peace.
Sripuram Sri Lakshmi Narayani Temple of Devi Shakti in the form of Lakshmi
Some interesting facts about the Harvest Festival - Pongal First day of Pongal is called Bhogi festival is celebrated in honor of Lord Indra, the god of rain, and the lord of lords. The ritual of Bhogi Mantalu is also observed this day, during which useless items of the household are tossed into a bonfire traditionally made of cow dung cakes and wood.
- Significance of Pongal
- Every morning offer water to Sun God
- Get Shakthi from Adhiparasakthi, Melmaruvathur
- Tamilnadu people calls Pongal as a Harvest Festival
- Tirumala Tirupati Darshan : 06.01.2018
- Do you know the importance of Ugadi Festival?
- Mangalsutra in Women is a powerful weapon
- New Year Special Hindu Festivals of 2018 associated with Deities and Mantras
- Worshiping Family Deity is more important
- Lord Shiva's sacred Bull is the Hindu God Nandi
- Gopurams of Tamilnadu which is known for its architecture
- Do you know about Sabarimala Vratham?
- Worshiping Lord Shiva the Lord of Power gives us energy
- Among all 12 Months, God resides in the month of Margazhi
- Todays Darshan Details of Lord Balaji at Tirumala